Graduate students that are given a Google PhD Fellowship are recognized as being some of the smartest and most talented students in the world. The Google PhD Fellowship Program was launched by Google with the purpose of recognizing and rewarding exceptional doctorate candidates in the fields of computer science and disciplines that are closely related to it. Fellowships provide financial assistance to applicants for the doctoral degree who come from a variety of backgrounds and exhibit promise as well as an interest in influencing the future of technology. Google’s mission is to cultivate communities that are friendly to researchers from all walks of life; as a result, the business actively seeks out new team members from a diverse range of life experiences.
Young researchers who show promise are eligible to apply for fellowships in the following fields of study:
- Algorithms, optimizations and markets
- Computational neural and cognitive sciences
- Health research
- Human-Computer interaction
- Machine learning
- Machine perception, speech technology and computer vision
- Mobile computing
- Natural language processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum computing
- Recommender systems
- Structured data and database management
- Systems and networking
Fellowships provide students with both a recognition and a monetary award. The money is sent straight to the school, which will use it to pay the student’s tuition and provide a living allowance if necessary. In addition, a Google Research Mentor will be assigned to help guide the student through their project. The student and Google are not legally bound in any way by the fellowship’s terms. The prize neither guarantees nor decreases the recipient’s prospects of being offered an internship or job in the future by Google. Students are welcome to apply for positions at Google and will be considered via the normal recruiting process.
- Support for up to three years
- Google Research Mentor
- US $30K for stipend, research-related activities, travels expenses, including overseas travel.
Those Currently Pursuing a Doctorate
- A doctoral degree program in an African university is required of applicants. Applicants who are currently enrolled in the first year of a PhD program that is offered on a part-time basis are highly urged to look for opportunities that would ease their ultimate transition to full-time work.
- Doctoral candidates should be in their first year or less of study. The eligibility date for the 2023 Fellowship is the first day of classes for the applicant’s current academic year.
- Fellowship eligibility is contingent upon continuous enrollment in the PhD program.
- In order to qualify for this position, applicants must possess a doctoral degree in Computer Science or a closely related field.
- All Google employees and their immediate families are ineligible.
- To be ineligible, a student must be in receipt of another business fellowship.
Aimed at Today’s College/University Graduates and Working Professionals
- In order to receive the fellowship, these individuals must enroll in a doctoral program at an African university full-time within the same calendar year that the fellowship is granted.
- Applicants must be enrolled at a university in Africa, either as undergraduates or graduate students, in order for their applications to be taken into consideration. Experts need only work for or be a part of a group that can prove its legal presence on the African continent.
- The recipient of the Google Fellowship must enroll in a PhD program in Computer Science or a related field at an African university full-time by December 31 of the award year (2023) or the award will be null and void.
- An acceptance into a university’s PhD program is unrelated to receiving a Google Fellowship. The grantee is also responsible for satisfying any PhD admission requirements imposed by the institution or university at which he or she plans to enroll.
- When deciding whether or not to offer a Google Fellowship, the institute or university where the recipient will be enrolled as a PhD student will be considered, along with their own norms and requirements.
- Ineligible are current or former Google workers, as well as their immediate families.
- Application submissions for the Google Africa PhD Fellowship program are now being accepted.
- May 11, 2023 at 11:59:59 p.m. UTC-12 (AoE) is the deadline for submissions. Determinations will be communicated in July 2023.
Submit Your Application by Clicking Here Time limit: May 11, 2023