The Ireland Fellows Programme enables early- to mid-career professionals with leadership potential from qualified countries to benefit from a distinguished, world-class, quality education that contributes to capacity building. It provides chosen students with the option to pursue a fully financed one-year master’s degree program at an Irish higher education institution (HEI). The prize covers program fees, travel, lodging, and living expenses. In Ireland, eligible master’s level programs begin in August or September of each year and last between 10 and 16 months, depending on the Program.
The Ireland Fellows Programme encourages gender equality, equal opportunity, and diversity. Our Development Policy is in line with SDG 16, which calls for the establishment of effective, responsible, and inclusive institutions at all levels, and we encourage applications from as wide a range of people as possible. Applicants with impairments, as well as those from minority or disadvantaged groups, are encouraged to apply. We would want to see more female candidates and individuals whose gender identification does not correspond to the male/female gender binary.
The Program’s goals are to create future leaders, enhance the in-country ability to accomplish national SDG targets, and foster good partnerships with Ireland.
The Program is designed to help graduates help to create capability-building in their home countries and become part of the next generation of leaders in their chosen industries when they return home. They are also expected to contribute to the development of long-term beneficial personal and professional ties with Ireland, as well as to the promotion of institutional links.
The Kader Asmal Fellowship Programme is a flagship program sponsored by the Irish Embassy in South Africa for South African students. The Kader Asmal Fellowship Programme is intended for South African early-career professionals with leadership potential. The scholarship generally supports leadership for the Sustainable Development Goals, with important themes being the development of women’s leadership potential and women’s engagement in STEM. Furthermore, the Kader Asmal Fellowship Programme intends to enable students who would not otherwise be able to pursue Master’s level studies in Ireland, and graduates of historically disadvantaged universities and universities of technology are urged to apply.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for an Ireland Fellows Programme – Kader Asmal grant beginning in the academic year 2024:
- Be a South African national.
- Have a minimum of two years of considerable job experience that is directly related to your intended Program (s) of study.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited and government-recognized higher education institution with a minimum cumulative grade of 3.0 (4.0 scale) – i.e. a first class or second class honors, Grade 1 (a second class honors, Grade 2 may be accepted if the applicant has substantial directly relevant work experience). It must have been given in 2012 or later (i.e. within the last 12 years).
- Not already possess a master’s degree or higher. Not presently enrolled in a master’s level or higher Program, or scheduled to begin a master’s level or higher Program in the academic year 2023/24.
- Apply to begin a new master’s Program in Ireland no later than August 2024.
- Be able to demonstrate the following: leadership qualities and ambitions; a commitment to achieving the SDGs in your own nation; and a commitment to contributing to the development of constructive links with Ireland.
- Have discovered and chosen three programs from the Directory of Eligible Programs that are relevant to your academic and professional expertise.
- Understand the academic and English language proficiency requirements for all programs chosen.
- You must not have previously applied to the Ireland Fellows Programme.
- Be in a position to take up the Fellowship in the academic year 2024/2025.
The Fellowship solely covers the recipient. The Program does not provide financial assistance or visas for spouses or dependents.
For More Information:
Application Deadline: 30 July 2023.