Applications are currently being accepted for the Allan Gray Orbis Fellowship Programme. This program seeks out young individuals transitioning into university who aspire to make a significant impact not only in their own lives but also in their communities, cities, and countries. Fellowship recipients are granted needs-based funding for university education and gain access to support and development opportunities aimed at fostering an entrepreneurial mindset.
Aim of the Allan Gray Orbis Fellowship
- Promoting Entrepreneurship as a Viable Career Choice The Fellowship Programme is dedicated to nurturing entrepreneurship in Candidate Fellows. By the end of the program, participants are expected to aspire to create value through responsible entrepreneurship, view entrepreneurship as a feasible career path, possess the ability to transform an idea into a v iable opportunity, grasp the value proposition of the Foundation and E2, and appreciate the culture of community and collaboration. The curriculum for developing their entrepreneurial mindset is delivered through the AGOF Online Campus.
- Enhancing Understanding of Entrepreneurship In addition to financial and academic assistance, each candidate is paired with a Personal Development Officer to assist with the transition into a new environment, an Entrepreneurial Leadership Officer who encourages the development of entrepreneurial skills, and an industry mentor who deepens their comprehension of entrepreneurial qualities and concepts in the professional realm.
Fellowship Application Requirements and Process for Grade 12 Learners Requirements
- Minimum of 60% in Pure Mathematics OR minimum of 80% in Mathematical Literacy for final Grade 11 results
- A minimum average of 70% for the final Grade 11 results (excluding Life Orientation) is required.
- Applicant must be under the age of 21 in the year of application
- Candidate needs to be a citizen of South Africa.
- Intent to pursue a degree in Commerce, Science, Engineering, Law, Humanities, Arts & Health Science (Excluding Medicine, Veterinary Science, and Dentistry) at designated universities
- Submit the application form and supporting documents online or via post by April 30, 2024, 17:00 SAST
- Successful applicants will be invited for an interview in July 2024
- Successful interviewees will be invited to a selection camp in September 2024
- To ensure optimal support and customer service, applicants are advised to allocate sufficient time to complete the application form before the deadline. It is recommended to dedicate at least 2 days to the process.
Top of Form
First-Year University Campaign
The First-Year University Campaign for 2024 is now closed for public applications. Each university will have the opportunity to nominate first-year students with entrepreneurial aspirations who meet the Foundation’s initial requirements outlined below:
- Currently enrolled in their first year of study (including expanded degree programs)
- Achieved an academic average of at least 65% after the first semester of 2023
- Not exceeding 22 years of age in 2024
Currently pursuing degrees in the following faculties:
- Health Science studies (excluding Medicine, Dentistry, and Veterinary Sciences)
- Full funding for applicants with a combined annual household income of R1 million or below
- Needs-based funding for applicants with a combined annual household income above R1 million
- Access to speakers, seminars, workshops, and experiential exercises
- Opportunities for business incubation and potential funding, which will be communicated to successful candidates after the camp stage
- Access to business/venture funding via E Squared, a sister entity of the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation (available to students in the IVC program and graduates depending on the viability of their business idea)
- Personal Leadership Officer for mentorship
- Industry mentorship
- Membership in a like-minded community
- Acquisition of a tertiary qualification
- Development of responsible thinking and an entrepreneurial mindset
- Cultivation of a well-rounded individual through community-oriented learning
For further details,
Application Deadline: April 30, 2024