The Hornby Education Trust places a significant emphasis on enhancing English language teaching capabilities in low- and middle-income countries. The trust grants Master’s degree scholarships to educators and related professionals who possess relevant experience and demonstrated potential to positively influence the field of English language teaching and learning in their home country.
Up to ten (10) fully funded scholarships are available for individuals meeting the University of Exeter’s admission criteria for the MEd TESOL Programme, with the intended entry date of September 2024. These scholarships are designated for academically talented and experienced applicants who are nationals of and work in low- and middle-income countries, as outlined in the OECD DAC list.
The scholarship encompasses:
- Full tuition fees
- A stipend of at least £15,500 (distributed in monthly payments) to cover accommodation and living expenses (the exact stipend amount will be confirmed upon acceptance of the award).
- Coverage of return international travel costs: This covers one journey to the UK at the beginning of the course and one journey back to your home country upon completion of the course. An open return ticket is recommended.
- You must be a resident of and work in a low- or middle-income country, as listed in the OECD DAC list (refer to this list).
- You should have a minimum of three years of full-time TESOL teaching or relevant professional experience after obtaining your first degree.
- You must possess an undergraduate degree (with grades equivalent to upper 2nd class honors or higher) or a pertinent postgraduate degree.
- You must initiate a regular postgraduate application to the University of Exeter for the MEd TESOL program and obtain an Exeter student number. This number will be directly sent to you upon receipt of your Exeter application. Only after obtaining this number can you proceed to submit your application for a Hornby Scholarship, as it is essential to include this number in your application.
- Shortlisted applicants for an interview will be notified no later than April 15, 2024.
- Interviews are scheduled to take place during the weeks commencing Monday, April 29, and Monday, May 6.
- Applicants shortlisted for interviews will be informed of the outcome no later than May 22, 2024.
- Candidates selected for the shortlist will be reimbursed the English Language test fee required for acceptance into the MEd TESOL program (To be Confirmed).
IMPORTANT: Begin by completing the University of Exeter application form for admission to the MEd TESOL program through the “Apply Online” section in the upper right section of this webpage. After obtaining an Exeter student number, proceed to complete the Hornby Scholarship application form here.
For further details,
Application Deadline: March 1, 2024.