The Shakira Choonara Young African Scholar Award application deadline is: 15 September 15, 2023
All final-year bachelor’s, honors, master’s, and doctoral students who require tuition assistance for 2023 are encouraged to apply.
The scholarship is an investment in young people, a vibrant Africa, and African brilliance. Ms. Goitsemodimo Ditsele, the inaugural awardee, graduated from the University of Botswana in 2022 with a Master of Arts in Development Studies. Every year, the Shakira Choonara Young African Scholarship Award will be given to an outstanding final-year undergraduate or postgraduate student (Honors, Masters, or PhD). The scholarship supports the final year tuition fee for a student with difficult circumstances. Students must be pursuing higher education and have an excellent academic record (70% or more in current and previous academic years). Research in the broader development sector will be supported, with desired areas including health sciences and gender studies.
Criteria For Application
- Youth from 21 to 35 years old
- The applicant must be a citizen of one of the 54 African countries
- The applicant must be in the final year (undergraduate or graduate) at a university in Africa.
- Demonstrate financial need, i.e., request a final year tuition-paying scholarship to complete an undergraduate degree.
- A proven track record of academic excellence
- We strongly encourage young women and youth from disadvantaged populations to apply. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated; only online applications will be accepted. Due to the enormous number of applications received, only those who have been shortlisted will be notified.
Shakira Choonara Award for Young African Scholars Sign Up Here!