Applications are currently being accepted for the Mastercard Foundation On-Campus Postgraduate Scholarships at the University of Edinburgh for the 2023–2024 academic year. This scholarship program, under the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, is committed to making a meaningful impact on addressing the climate crisis.
The primary goal of this program is to foster a community of talented, entrepreneurial, and compassionate leaders from across Sub-Saharan Africa. It aims to equip young individuals with the necessary knowledge, skills, and networks to lead sustainable transitions. These postgraduate scholarships are specifically focused on sustainability and are offered through the Scholars Program at the University of Edinburgh.
The scholarship is applicable for a one-year postgraduate on-campus program, specifically for the following programs:
- Africa and International Development
- Food Security
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Data, Inequality, and Society
- Operational Research
- Environmental Sustainability
- Climate Change Finance and Investment
- Planetary Health
- Environment & Development
To be eligible to apply, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Academic Qualification: Applicants must academically qualify for admission to the University of Edinburgh in one of the relevant degree programs listed. This typically requires the equivalent of a UK Second Class (Upper) Bachelor’s (Hons) degree or higher. Specific postgraduate entry requirements for your country should be reviewed.
- Barriers to Education: Applicants should have encountered significant barriers to education, whether social, financial, personal, practical, or health-related.
- Graduation: Applicants must have completed their undergraduate studies by September 2023 and should possess a degree certificate and official final transcript for uploading alongside their application by December 7.
- Residency: Applicants should be residents and citizens of or hold refugee status in a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Leadership and Service: Applicants are expected to demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within their community.
- Climate Action: Applicants should have experience, or at least ambition, in making a meaningful impact on addressing the climate crisis.
- Age Limit: Applicants should be 35 years or younger as of September 1, 2024.
- Previous Postgraduate Degrees: Applicants should not have previously completed a postgraduate degree and should not be enrolled or applying for enrollment at another university while benefiting from the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
- Full approved tuition
- Living-cost stipend
- Study materials
- A climate leadership program to inspire and support scholars in driving change in their communities and countries
- Additional support for scholars with disabilities based on an assessment of needs
Application Timeline for 2023/24
|October 23, 2023 (10am UK time)||October 23, 2023 (10 am UK time)|
|October 23, 2023 (10 am UK time)||Completion of registration for scholarship application site, |
eligibility assessment, and declaration
|December 1, 2023 (5 pm UK time)||October 23, 2023 (10 a.m. UK time)|
|Early February 2024||On-campus (ODL) Interview shortlisting begins, and both successful |
and unsuccessful applicants will be notified.
|Mid-to-late February 2024||Support was provided throughout the admission and |
|By mid-March||On-campus Interview outcomes are announced|
|March – August 2024||March-August 2024|
|September 2024||The academic program commences|
Method of Application
Applicants should ensure they meet the academic qualifications for admission to the University of Edinburgh. It is important to note that candidates should apply for this scholarship prior to applying to the university. Applications submitted outside the online application system will not be accepted.
For any inquiries regarding the Mastercard Foundation Scholarships not covered in the FAQs, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 7, 2023 (5 pm UK time)
For more information and to apply,