The second fellowship that Halcyon offers, which focuses on Africa, is looking for businesspeople who have come up with creative solutions that will enhance the livelihoods of farmers while also boosting access to healthy food for those who are the most disadvantaged. The food and agricultural industries are the primary focus of this fellowship, which will support businesses that aim to disrupt those two industries. Fellows will have access to a variety of advisers and mentors, as well as participate in a variety of seminars, all thanks to our partners at Amazon Web Services, S&R Evermay, and HR Sage! There will be three online sessions, a week-long in-person residence at Halcyon, and a week-long in-person residency in Nairobi.
You must satisfy the following requirements in order to qualify for this fellowship:
- You need to be a resident of, and either have your business headquartered in, a nation that is a member of the African Union.
- The applicant has to either be the Chief Executive Officer of the company or be in a position where they have primary decision-making authority over the expansion and strategic direction of the company’s management and development.
- Must be able to devote one hundred percent of one’s waking hours to working on the project during the residence stages (**August 21-25, 2023 in Washington, DC; November 13-17, 2023 in Nairobi).
- Need must be able to attend in-person monthly meetings as well as residency programs in both Washington, DC, and Nairobi.
- Possessing excellent English language skills are required..
- All participants must be at least 21 years old as of the program’s start date.
- You have the option of applying on your own or teaming up with up to one other co-founder who also satisfies the qualifications outlined in the previous paragraph.
- Must be prepared to contribute to the growth and enhancement of the neighborhood of Halcyon’s residents.
To qualify for this fellowship, your endeavor must meet all of the following criteria:
- It is required that the candidate come up with their own unique concept (s)
- It is necessary that your business be related to either agriculture or the food industry.
- The product must have reached the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) level.
- Must be a free-standing or self-governing enterprise that operates in a manner that is not controlled by an existing group.
- Must have a plan for a long-term, sustainable company model that will produce money by selling a primary product or service.
- Be a for-profit or hybrid business whose primary goal is to make a measurable positive impact on society or the environment.
- It can’t be a charity or other non-profit organization under Section 501(c) (3).
- A non-equity-based travel stipend in the amount of $5,000 USD per venture can be used to cover costs associated with attending the residency.
- A stay of one week at the facilities owned and operated by Halcyon in Georgetown, Washington, District of Columbia
- A residence of one week in Nairobi, ending in an event including pitches from each startup and contacts to investors, advisers, and media.
- Workshops that are free to attend and concentrate on investment preparedness training and relationships with appropriate impact investors
- Developing one’s narrative abilities and ability to present an idea
- Gaining access to pro bono legal help, opportunities for skill development, and mentoring programs
- ‘Credits in the amount of $25,000 USD for use on Amazon Cloud.
- Participate in a group that includes more than 300 entrepreneurs focused on making a difference.
Please visit This Link to Start the Application Process.
Deadline: April 28, 2023