Sure, that is conceivable. Nevertheless, the procedure is highly complicated and will not work in the vast majority of situations. You must follow these step-by-step instructions to convert your visiting visa to a work permit.
Important note: This article assumes that you have exhausted all other immigration options to Canada and have failed. If not, get in touch with us, and we’ll give you our recommendations for the finest options.
Table of Contents
- Obtaining a Visiting Visa
- Getting a Work Offer and a Positive LMIA
- The procedure in Canada for changing a visiting visa into a work permit
- Interim work authorization
- Get a Visiting Visa (TRV)
To convert a visiting visa into a work permit in Canada, the first obvious step is to become a Canadian guest. When applying for a visitor visa (Temporary Resident Visa or TRV) to Canada, you should be aware of the following criteria:
Costs and Restrictions for Visitor Visas
- A visitor visa application fee of $100 CDN (5,200 INR) is required, as is a biometrics fee of $85 CAD (4,400 INR).
- Extending your visitor visa will cost you $100 CDN per person.
- You have to pay a $200 CDN visa cost to reinstate your tourist status.
- Show that you intend to exit the country following your visit.
- You must prove that you have the resources to sustain both yourself and any accompanying family members while you are in Canada.
- You should be in relatively good health and ready to submit to a medical checkup if necessary.
- No criminal record; be ready to submit to a police background check.
- Be able to present all supporting documentation upon the immigration officer’s request.
Do you want to visit Canada and obtain a work permit?
Usually, it takes 16–20 days to process a TRV application. However, due to the backlog of applications, the most recent time it took to process an application was about 135 days. Even if it is more, make sure to give adequate paperwork to avoid any delays. If you want assistance, please contact us. The Visitor Visa Application Procedure
- Choose whether you will apply online or in person.
- Apply for a visa by completing the form and attaching any necessary paperwork.
- To pay for the cost of the visa processing, use a certified check or bank draft.
- Visit a nearby facility to apply for a visa to Canada with your passport, photos, and any supporting documentation.
- You must provide fingerprints and a picture (biometrics).
- Take your visa application form to the Canada visa application facility.
- The application center should issue you a receipt that includes a unique tracking number.
- For online application status updates, use this number.
- Obtaining both an LMIA and a job offer
You only have a short time after arriving in Canada to look for work and get a favorable LMIA. Not to mention the fact that getting a job offer is a difficult process in and of itself. You ought to do your homework carefully as a result.
Research for the Jobs
- Understand the labour market opportunities in your destination.
- Match your NOC code with the in-demand jobs in that area.
- Apply for Jobs online through Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, etc.
- Apply directly to the employer’s website.
- Friends and family can help to find employment opportunities.
Get a Positive LMIA
Even after enough job research, there are high chances that you won’t be able to get a job offer from a Canadian employer. Because the LMIA Requirements must be met for an employer to hire you, and not many employers are willing to sponsor temporary visitors.
Factors to improve your chances to get a work permit while on a visitor visa:
- You have exceptional skills that employers won’t find anywhere else.
- You have enough contacts to support you in Canada.
- You have hired someone to search for a suitable job for you.
Apply for a Work Permit in Canada
Visitor Visa to Work Permit (without LMIA)
You can get an open work permit without LMIA only if:
- If your spouse / common-law partner has a study permit and is studying in a DLI, you can apply for an open work permit as a temporary visitor.
- If your spouse / common-law partner has a work permit and is working in occupations specified in NOC 0, A, and B, you can apply for a work permit as a visitor visa holder.
- If your spouse / common-law partner is waiting for PR and has “approval in principal” status, you may apply for a work permit as a visitor.
- If you have applied for PR under Spousal Sponsorship, then you can apply for a work permit while you’re waiting for the decision.
3. Converting Visitor Visa to Work Permit in Canada
After you get a positive LMIA from a Canadian employer, you can apply for a work permit from inside Canada.
On February 28, 2023, IRCC announced that foreign nationals currently in Canada on a visitor visa and who have a valid job offer would continue to be able to apply for and receive a work permit without having to leave the country. The temporary public policy has been extended by 2 years until February 28, 2025.
After that, you have to go through a process called Flagpoling. In this temporary, visitors have to go out of Canada through the US border, apply for a work permit, and then re-enter Canada.
4. Interim Authorization to Work
We have already discussed how we can convert a visitor visa to a work permit in Canada. Now let’s understand how the Interim Authorization to work.
If you have applied for a work permit in Canada under visitor status, you must wait about 132 days to receive it. It means you can’t work until the work permit is approved.
IRCC addressed this problem through an “Interim Authorization to Work.” With that, you can obtain this authorization to work quickly. You can start working immediately if you have received an employer-specific job offer. It is introduced to address the labour shortages, though it is not automatic.
The process for Interim Authorization to Work is as follows:
- Fill out this IRCC web form available on the official website.
- Wait for IRCC to contact you. This may take up to 30 business days (6 weeks).