Change lives and the globe through meaningful Ph.D. research co-funded by Flinders and St Peter’s College.
- Receive a tax-free scholarship of $33,000 each year for up to 3.5 years.
- Flinders University and St Peter’s College are offering an Industry Ph.D. Scholarship to conduct innovative research into the effect of integrated Athletic Development programs on the physical development of school-aged students.
The College of Education, Psychology and Social Work and St Peter’s College are collaborating on this research project to investigate the effect of Athletic Development programs on the physical literacy of St Peter’s College students compared to students who do not participate in such programs. Bringing significant industry experience to the project, St Peter’s College has an unwavering commitment to the education of boys, and our vision is to be an exceptional learning community. Our values of Truth, Respect, and Service are a strong and constant part of school life. Today, and for over 170 years, our most important task has been building the character of the boys and young men at Saints – cultivating a feeling of service, bravery, devotion, and integrity. An integral component to this learning is the inclusion of athletic development programs within the school’s curriculum. This is reflected in a graduated approach to athletic development across the students’ schooling journey. Flinders University is also committed to the development of athletic development programs for physical and personal development in school and sports settings and has complimentary research strengths in the field of Sport and Exercise Science through the Sport, Health, Activity, Performance, and Exercise Research Centre (SHAPE) to support this exciting Industry Ph.D. opportunity. Through this Ph.D. project, we are working together to find novel answers to this challenging field of research.
This Scholarship offers:
- $33,000 (2023 full-time rate, indexed annually) per annum tax-free, for up to 3.5 years
- An industry internship allows you to apply your research to practice during your candidature.
- Access to academic and industrial knowledge through joint supervision
- A helpful atmosphere in which to acquire cutting-edge research methodologies and become an expert in your field.
- The ability to handle a big research endeavor and adapt to obstacles in novel ways.
- A collaborative research community where you may enhance your skills and network to further your research career.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, you will need:
- Must be a citizen of Australia, New Zealand, or Australia, or to be a permanent resident of Australia, or to possess or be qualified to apply for a pertinent international visa; and
- Meet the prerequisites for admission to the Ph.D. program at Flinders University, which include having an Australian Honours degree Class 1 or 2A or an equivalent degree (at least at AQF Level 8) or providing proof of similar research experiences, such as peer-reviewed publications or considerable experience as a lead researcher.
- In a time determined by the Office of Graduate Research in conjunction with the industry partner, scholarship winners are required to begin their studies as soon as it is practical but three months after accepting the award.
- In exceptional circumstances and with the approval of the industry partner and the University, this time may be extended to 6 months.
- Completed postgraduate study (A bachelor’s degree with Honours Class 1 or 2A Graduate Diploma or Masters degree by coursework with a research component of at least 18 units, with an average GPA of at least 6 in the research component) in Sport and Exercise Science (Strength & Conditioning).
- Currently hold or willing to undertake a National Police Criminal History Check, Working with Children Check and Complete the Responding to Risks of Harm, Abuse, and Neglect – Education and Care (RRHAN)-EC Training.
- Actively hold a Level 1 (or higher) Australian Strength and Conditioning Association Accreditation
It is desirable for applicants to also have:
- Obtained over 6 months (or part-time equivalent) of Strength and Conditioning Coaching experience in a school or sporting setting.
Method of Application
Fill out the Higher Degree by Research Scholarship Application Form that is provided, and submit it together with any supporting materials to Dr. Kym Williams at: email@example.com
For more information visit,
Application Deadline: July 17, 2023