TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Researchers from Developing Countries
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and TWAS have jointly established a postdoctoral fellowship program tailored for foreign scholars hailing from developing countries in the Global South. This initiative supports postdoctoral research endeavors in the natural and related applied sciences. Successful candidates have the opportunity to conduct their research within the departments and laboratories of both public and private universities in Turkey, as well as TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
Key Program Details:
- Fellowships are hosted by departments and laboratories at Turkish public and private universities.
- The duration of the fellowships ranges from a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 36 months.
Eligible Fields of Study:
This program encompasses a wide array of fields in the natural and applied sciences, including but not limited to:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cellular, and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences (including Neurosciences)
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space, and Earth Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Hold permanent residency and nationality in a developing country in the Global South.
- Candidates from Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLC) and women are highly encouraged to apply. A list of STLCs can be found at https://twas.org/66-countries. Note: Developing countries not listed are also eligible to apply.
- Must not possess a visa for temporary or permanent residency in Turkey or any developed country.
- Must be employed in a developing country (other than the host country) and have a research assignment there. Applicants must submit a supporting statement from their current employer, endorsed by the head or director of the institution.
- Hold a PhD degree in the natural or related applied sciences (within the specified fields).
- Be under the age of 45 as of December 31 in the application year.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from an eligible department, institution, or laboratory at a public or private university in Turkey or TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s) in Turkey and not to TÜBİTAK.
- Submit a research proposal prepared in the format determined by TÜBİTAK.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English. If the medium of education was not English, provide evidence of English proficiency through standardized tests (TOEFL or IELTS) or a university-issued letter certifying English language knowledge.
- Commit to not engage in other assignments during the fellowship period.
- Assume financial responsibility for accompanying family members.
- Must not have previously received a fellowship under this program.
- Commit to returning to their home country upon completion of the fellowship.
For additional information,
Application Deadline: December 25, 2023.