Mexican Government’ – Merit Awards for International Students – Excellence Scholarships for Foreigners 2023.
The Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID), on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), invites international students interested in studying in Mexico to apply for the « Call for Excellence Scholarships of the Government of Mexico for Foreigners 2023 » at the levels of specialty, Master’s, doctorate, and postgraduate research, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate student mobility programs.
The Call is extended to over 180 countries through bilateral agreements, multilateral procedures, and special arrangements. This Call is supported by more than 80 Mexican Higher Education Institutions (IES), all of which have academic programs recognized in the National Postgraduate System of the National Council of Science and Technology. These programs attest to the country’s success in several science and humanities fields.
By awarding Excellence Scholarships to international students, the Mexican government affirms its commitment to fostering collaboration to further the development of highly skilled people capital. It improves its position as a global player. The presence of international students, scholars, and scientists, both men and women, in Mexico, helps to build long-term communication bridges that enhance the country’s and its foreign partners’ foreign policy agendas. Likewise, increased internationalization benefits HEIs and the Mexican academic community.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D., depending on the program for which the scholarship is sought. Degree titles with technical and commercial content are not acceptable. For mobility situations at the Bachelor’s level, only verification of studies from the most recent academic session completed, provided by the Institution of origin, will be required.
- Candidates must live somewhere other than Mexico at the time of application.
- Applicants must have a minimum (GPA) of 80 (on a scale of 0 to 100) or the equivalent for their most recent academic degree. Applications with a lower GPA will be rejected.
- Scholarships are not transferrable and cannot be carried over to subsequent years.
AMEXCID will grant the selected applicants the following:
1. For Master’s scholarships, mobility at the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels, and Master’s level research, a monthly stipend of 4 (four) times the monthly value of the Federal Economic Measurement Unit (UMA), currently equivalent to $12,614.80 (Twelve thousand six hundred fourteen pesos and 80/100 M.N.) per month. The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
2. For Doctoral scholarships and research stays at the doctoral and postdoctoral levels, a monthly stipend of 5 (five) times the monthly value of the UMA, currently equivalent to $15,768.50 (Fifteen thousand seven hundred sixty-eight pesos and 50/100 M.N.). The UMA is subject to changes established by law. (Stipend is paid in the following month).
3. Enrollment and tuition, under the provisions of the program of each Mexican Educational Institution (Annex 1), subject to the final decision of each Institution, issued through their acceptance letter.
4. Medical insurance through the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS). The coverage will begin from the seventh month of the scholarship and last for a period similar to the scholarship period granted (Annex 2).
5. Payment waiver for issuing the Mexican visa.
6. International air flight transportation upon satisfactory completion of the academic program. AMEXCID will determine the flight route. Please refer to the list of countries to which this benefit is given (Annex 3).
7. National Transportation. If the studies are conducted outside of Mexico City, transportation to the host city of the receiving academic institution, as well as transportation back to Mexico City, will be paid upon completion of the scholarship period with an acceptable academic result. Only applies to domestic flights or ground transportation (Annex 4).
- Publication of the Call May 15, 2023
- Registration of applications in the SIGCA (Academic Cooperation Management System) https://sigca.sre.gob.mx / From May 15 to July 21, 2023
- Review and evaluation of applications From July 24 to August 4, 2023
- Notification of results to selected candidates From August 7 to 11, 2023
- Start of activities From September 2023 to December 8, 2023
For More Information:
Application Deadline: July 21, 2023