The Program on Conflict and Development (ConDev) at Texas A&M University invites applications for its annual Student Media Grant Program, offering an opportunity to shed light on human stories surrounding global issues. In the 2023-2024 academic year, ConDev is collaborating with the Department of Hospitality, Hotel Management, and Tourism to explore the role of hospitality and tourism in conflict mediation on a global scale.
Since 2013, program participants have harnessed the power of photos, interviews, and various media to document global events at the crossroads of conflict and development. This year, we pose the question, “How do hospitality and tourism contribute to peacebuilding?” These grants are generously funded by Texas A&M’s Howard G. Buffett Foundation Endowed Chair on Conflict and Development.
This program welcomes both undergraduate and graduate students who are presently enrolled in any accredited university around the world. Graduating students in the year 2023 are also eligible to apply. Those selected for the program will receive funding of up to $5,000 to travel to a location of their choice, whether domestic or international, provided they obtain proper approval from their university and relevant entities.
Grant recipients are expected to spend a minimum of two months in 2024 actively engaged in documenting issues that reflect the challenges faced by fragile and conflict-affected nations through the lens of tourism and hospitality. During their immersive experience in hospitality and tourism, students are required to:
- Demonstrate a minimum two-month engagement in their chosen issue through activities such as extension programs, public service, internships, student research, or related pursuits.
- Produce photojournalism deliverables for ConDev’s social media platforms and/or website, documenting their chosen subjects through photos, videos, radio broadcasts, or other media forms that highlight the role of hospitality and tourism in conflict and development.
- Publish or exhibit their work through recognized media outlets.
- October 1, 2023: Application acceptance begins.
- November 30, 2023 (due by 11:59 pm CST, USA time): Application deadline.
- December 2023: Review period—we appreciate your patience as we evaluate your exceptional proposals.
- January 7–23, 2024: notification period
- February–May 2024 (depending on the proposal timeline): funding disbursement
For further details and to apply,
Application deadline: November 30, 2023.