UNU-WIDER With the Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme, UNU-WIDER welcomes registered doctorate students to conduct research on emerging economies and collaborate with our faculty in areas of mutual interest.
The average time spent at UNU-WIDER by a visiting PhD fellow is three months. Fellows are expected to do original research, write up their results, and deliver a seminar on their work while participating in the course. They could also be able to submit their findings to the WIDER Working Paper Series.
criterion for selection
- Candidates must be enrolled in a PhD program and have demonstrated research on emerging economies expertise.
- Applicants with experience in other social sciences are welcome to apply, but they should be aware that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused organization.
- Applicants should have strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical abilities and speak and write English fluently.
- Early-career, female, and researchers from developing nations who meet the necessary qualifications are especially encouraged to apply.
- Researchers who are close to the completion of their PhDs are the target audience for the program.
- The Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme is very competitive and can only accept a limited number of fellows. There has been a consistent success rate of 1% in the recent years.
UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your PhD granting institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,850 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the permanency of the fellowship that is undertaken in Helsinki.
The process of application
The Visiting Doctoral Fellowship Programme at UNU-WIDER only accepts applications submitted online twice every calendar year. Every year, the submission of applications must be completed before the 31st of March and the 30th of September at 23:59 UTC+3. If you submitted your application in September, you would spend three months at UNU-WIDER during the period of March-June of the following year. On the other hand, if you submitted your application in March, you would spend three months at UNU-WIDER during the period of September-November of the same year.
Date limit for submission of applications: 31 March 2023
Note that the link to the online application form will not become live until one month before the submission date. Thank you for your understanding (e.g., application procedures start on 1 March and 1 September of each year).
For More Details, Click Here