A work visa for Canada is a legal document that authorizes a foreign individual to work while in Canada. Every year, Canada awards approximately 500,000 work visas to temporary foreign employees from all over the world. Canada is an appealing destination for many foreign nationals seeking employment opportunities and a Canadian work visa.
Make sure to check: Best Way to Get PR in Australia 2023
How to Obtain a Work Visa for Canada?
The procedure for obtaining a work visa for Canada varies considerably based on the type of work permit sought. For example, an overseas student studying in Canada will frequently be granted permission to work part-time as part of their study permit authorization.
Most closed work permit applications require a foreign national who has received a formal job offer from a Canadian business accompanied by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Even individuals who are LMIA-exempt or do not require a work permit should be aware of the specific papers required to ensure entry into Canada.
About the Process
To work in Canada, most foreign nationals require a work visa for Canada. Work permits are classified into two classes.
- Employer-specific work permit
- Open work permit
Employer-specific Work Permit
An employer-specific work permit enables you to work in Canada in accordance with the terms of your work permit, such as
- the name of the specific employer for whom you can work
- how long can you work
- the location where you will be able to work (if appropriate)
Your employer must give you permission before you apply for an employer-specific work permit.
- a duplicate of your employment contract
Choose one of the following:
- a labor market impact assessment (LMIA) copy
- a job offer number (for LMIA-exempt employees)
- Your employer must get this number through the Employer Portal.
Open Work Permit
An open work permit is a non-job-specific work permit. You will not require the following documents when applying for your work visa because they are not job-specific:
- Employment and Social Development Canada conducted a labor market effect evaluation.
- Proof that an employer has filed a job offer via the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
Work Visa Requirements in Canada
- 67/100 on the Canada Point grid
- The ECA report
- Results of IELTS/PTE
- 1 to 2 years of relevant job experience
- A genuine career opportunity in Canada
- A passport that is valid for at least six months.
- Evidence of funds
- Medical coverage
- Certificate of Police Verification
- PNP nomination (optional)
Work Visa for Canada Eligibility Criteria
You must meet specific qualifying standards regardless of the type of work permit you are seeking for. These are some examples:
- A valid work offer letter from a Canadian employer with a positive LMIA is required.
- A minimum of two years of work experience is necessary.
- In the Canada points calculator, 67 points equal
- The ECA report
- Academic qualifications
- CLB – 5/ IELTS – 6.5
Procedure for Obtaining a Work Visa for Canada
Follow the procedures below to obtain your Canada Work Visa.
- Examine the eligibility requirements.
- Obtain your ECA
- Create a requirements checklist
- Apply for a Work Visa for Canada
- Work and live in Canada
Time Required for Processing
For applicants from abroad, the processing time ranges from 5 to 6 months. The kind of work permit you choose to apply for will determine this. The dependant work visa category of the Canadian government permits immigration for family members.
Don’t forget to check: 10 Best Job Sites in Canada for Foreigners – Read the Detailed Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I obtain a work permit for Canada from Nigeria?
Nigeria passport holders can live and work in Canada for a set period of time under specific restrictions with a Canada Work Permit. Applicants can submit either online or offline (paper) applications, depending on their needs and interests.
Who is eligible to work in Canada?
To work in Canada, Canadian citizens and permanent residents, regardless of their place of residency, do not require a work permit or visa. Foreign nationals who intend to work or visit Canada may be required to get a work permit, a visitor visa, or both.
Can I move to Canada if I don’t have a job?
While having a work offer in Canada can improve your chances of getting permanent residency, it is not required. There are a number of immigration schemes that do not require a work offer, such as Family Sponsorship, Express Entry, and the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).