The World Bank Group’s Africa regions (WBG) have announced the start of the application process for the 2024 WBG Africa Fellowship Program for Ph.D. applicants and recent Ph.D. graduates from Sub-Saharan Africa. Women are especially urged to apply. We hope that the fellowship will help improve the ability of the next generation of African change-makers in development research and policymaking and aid in poverty reduction in the area.
The program is aimed at young brilliant African nationals who are completing or have recently finished their Ph.D. in a field relevant to the World Bank’s activities. Since its establishment, the fellowship program has been extremely effective in developing a solid pipeline of young African talent interested in working in development, international organizations, African governments, think tanks, and academia
The program provides chosen fellows with a six-month assignment in WBG headquarters in Washington, D.C. or in-country offices to acquire hands-on experience in WBG operations. This encompasses information production and distribution, the development of global and national policies, and the establishment of institutions to ensure inclusive growth in developing nations. While benefiting from research and innovation across many sectors, fellows will also work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and loan operations that contribute to the World Bank’s aims of eradicating poverty and enhancing shared prosperity.
- Be a recent Ph.D. graduate (within the previous three years) or enrolled in the last year of a Ph.D. program.
- Have a strong grasp of the English language, both written and spoken.
- Strong mathematical and analytical abilities are required.
- Be under the age of 32 at the time the application period closes.
To be eligible, you must be a Ph.D. candidate or a recent graduate (within three years of completing your PhD) from Sub-Saharan Africa. See the complete list of qualifying requirements below.
If accepted, you will:
- Spend six months gaining practical experience at the WBG headquarters in Washington, D.C. or a country office. For the period January-June 2024, the fellowship requires in-person availability.
- Work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and loan operations that contribute to the WBG’s aims of eradicating poverty and promoting shared prosperity.
Fellows are eligible for consultant fees and round-trip economy class flight travel from their university or institution to Washington, D.C. or a WBG foreign office.
In accordance with the applicants’ areas of specialty, a short list of candidates will be made available for employment by the various WBG units. An applicant’s application status, including whether or not they have been shortlisted, will be communicated to them.
The final list of fellows will be chosen in cooperation with the WBG’s various sections. When the selection is over, all shortlisted candidates will be notified of their status. Selected candidates will subsequently be informed and, if accepted, will be recruited as six-month consultants beginning in January 2024.
For More Information,
Application Deadline: August 25, 2023